Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 07:51:41 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        kris@airnet.net
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More than one soundcard in kernel?

> I am trying to get two soundcards in a machine and am wondering if it is
> possible. I realize that I can only have one FM chip, but I'm only

in general, yes. In practice, it depends on the driver and also if the
two cards are configurable at different addresses -- and quite a few
cheap PnP boards do not have a unique serial number making them
undistinguishable :(

In the specific case, my driver (device pcm0) supports multiple boards
of the same type for all cards it knows, so you might be able to
achieve what you need using the OPTI in 16-bit mode (WSS clone)
and maybe the PAS in SB emulation (but i am not sure my driver will
recognize the PAS -- i have not been very careful in supporting
obsolete hardware).
Personally i have run up to 3 boards in my machine.

Voxware driver has some restrictions with multiple devices.

> looking to pick up the extra dsp and mixer. Both are sb-clones, and will
> be on different ports/irqs/dmas. One is a PnP OPTi-931 and the other is
> a MV / PAS-16 that doesn't know how to emulate PAS. Will only act as a
> sb pro. I know this is a big no-no, but I *seriously* want to know the
> answer: Why does an SB Pro do 16-bit audio under Winblows and not
> FreeBSD?

an SBPro does not do 16 bit. A CLONE might have a proprietary 16-bit
mode of operation known to windows and in this mode (not in SBPro
emulation) it does 16bit.

	cheers
	luigi