Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 95 13:48:16 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw (Brian Tao)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making a FreeBSD NFS server

> > Be warned that, though Sun and SVR4 do this too, this is a cache
> > coherency violation and can result in Bad Things Happening [...]
>
>     I think it was Garrett who remarked that the whole idea of
> stateless NFS was a gross violation of filesystem consistency.  ;-)

The whole idea of stateful NFS would be a gross violation of municipal
power grid consistency.  8-).

Unless you are running everything on the same box, it's impossible to
provide inter-machine consistency guarantees.  That's why NFS is the
way it is.

> > One alternative is to use NFSv3 on both the client and the server.
> > This means going all BSD or including OSF/1,
>
>     Does this include BSD/OS 2.0 as well?

I lied (apparently).  There are reliable async write guarantees, not
coherency guarantees.

The NFSv3 is not default with FreeBSD, and it's not there for BSDI at
all as far as I know.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---