Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 01:57:18 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Tobias Roth <roth@iamexwi.unibe.ch>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   how to install an rpm

Hi there

I just started with linux emulation and got a little confused.
I got everything working (I installed the linux_base port).

Now, I have two versions of rpm, a FreeBSD one and a linux one, which give
me the following output when I try to install an rpm:

su-2.04# /usr/local/bin/rpm -i gtk+-1.2.8-1.i386.rpm
failed to open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

error: cannot open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

and

su-2.04# /usr/compat/linux/bin/rpm -i gtk+-1.2.8-1.i386.rpm
failed to open /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
warning: /etc/gtk/gtkrc saved as /etc/gtk/gtkrc.rpmorig
warning: /etc/gtk/gtkrc.bg saved as /etc/gtk/gtkrc.bg.rpmorig
unpacking of archive failed on file /etc/gtk/gtkrc.bg_BG.iso88595: cpio:
symlink failed - File exists

(I had to to an /usr/compat/linux/bin/rpm --rebuilddb to get this far)

Looks like I have to use the linux rpm. But then, whatever I do, I get
symlink errors from cpio such as the one described.

What am I doing wrong? Should I not install rpms but just copy the libs
over from someones Linux system? Where do I fond documentation about this?
The handbook is not very detailed.

thx, Tobe