Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 1996 23:55:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BoS: Exploit for sendmail smtpd bug (ver. 8.7-8.8.2).

Incorrect.  It RUNS without DNS but still TRIES to use it.  If you really
don't have IP connectivity, then difference doesn't matter because it
still works when the lookup fails, however it still does try and the
difference does matter if you have partial IP connectivity.  I have a
system setup with nocanonify and all the other config file tweaks I know
of, and it still tries to use DNS as a tcpdump shows quite clearly.  This
system is running 8.7.5, so things may have been changed in more recent
versions but I can't say for sure; if this has changed in more recent
versions, please let me know.

I _think_ the define that needs to be set to 0 is NAMED_BIND, but don't
recall for sure.  This has been gone over before on the lists.

Any more followups I make to this will go to -hackers.