Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:15:52 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSDStats - What is involved ... ?

Quoting "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@freebsd.org> (from Mon, 28 Aug =20
2006 17:03:38 -0300 (ADT)):

> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
>
>> At 11:36 PM -0300 8/25/06, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> In getting this into the base system itself?  Opt-in,
>>> default turned off, of course, but maybe as an option
>>> in sysinstall to be enabled easily?
>>
>> I think it should be like perl or X11.  Have it available
>> on the first installation CD, and easily selectable, but
>> not in the freebsd base system.  I think it would be best
>> for it to remain a separate port.
>
> That works too ... all I'm looking for is high enough visibility that
> ppl know its there ... this is something meant to benefit us all in the
> long term, but the faster / easier it can be deployed, the sooner
> useful numbers will be generated ...

Just having it on CD1 doesn't result in people seeing it. You would =20
have to change the installation mechanism to check if bsdstats is =20
available and to pop up a dialog which explains it's purpose, what it =20
sends and asks if it should be installed or not.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do today because
if you do it today, you can do it again tomorrow.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137