Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:50:34 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Dale E. Chulhan" <dchulhan@uwi.tt>, "My List" <TheTechies@onelist.com>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Non-standard internal addressing

> The private IP network allocations include one Class A network, >
10.0.0.0; 16
> Class B networks, 172.16.0.0-172.31.0.0; and 256 Class C networks,
> 192.168.0.0-192.168.255.0

> What are the ramifications of using non allocated addresses for
> an INTRANET
> connecting to the outside world through a proxy using say
> 200.0.0.1-200.0.0.255
> 255.255.0.0

	Well, one company I worked for used non-allocated addresses for its
Intranet. Everything worked just fine until they signed their largest
contract ever with a large airplane manufacturer. Turns out that this
airplane manufacturer had been actually assigned the same block of IP
addresses they randomly chose for their Intranet.

	Surprise, surprise -- our new largest customer couldn't access any of our
protected servers.

	Is there some advantage to not using the private address space? This should
be an no-brainer.

	DS