Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 18:38:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD distribution layout vs FTP distribution layout.

> > I'm tired of this too  :-)
>
> There's only one problem.
>
> Say I create a user and I point his home directory straight at the CD
> (something which gets done a lot :-).  Its very nice to be able to say:
>
> ftp://my.local.site/
>
> As the URL and have it Just Work, assuming that I've gone to the
> Options editor and entered the appropriate username and password.  It
> also collapses all URL handling handily into one place since whether
> the username is "ftp" or "joe", the pathname handling is the same.
>
> The essential problem is with the URL, which also uses / chars for
> separators.  Given an FTP username of joe, how do you tell that:
>
> ftp://my.local.site/release/2.1.5
>
> is /release/2.1.5 or ~joe/release/2.1.5?
>
> Yes, I'm aware that you could say:
>
> 	ftp://my.local.site/~joe/2.1.5
>
> But that would violate the principle of least surprise if you've
> already set the username to joe. :-)
>
> As you can see, it's not an immediately obvious decision or I'd have
> changed the behavior long ago.

Having understood this fundamental problem, I chose long ago not to whine
about it, and have patiently tapped in my 7 ../ 's to do dozens of loads of
my custom FreeBSD images here.

However, since we are visiting this topic, and you are very intimate with
this code, let me ask you this:

I assume something parses up the URL format.  I would think it would be
possible to attempt intelligent chdir's to try to figure out what was
meant...  or, perhaps simpler yet, in the case where a first access attempt
failed, perhaps a "cd /" could be done and the attempt retried..

How hard would it be to add a minimal amount of intelligence to the
procedure?

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968