Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 20:38:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        nick@valueclick.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Inspiron 7500

In article <Pine.BSF.4.10.9912140722360.28877-100000@localhost> you write:
>On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Julian Elischer wrote:

>> Also I was thinking of getting a spare disk.
>> I like the idea for backups.. (maybe 2)
>
>I don't recommend it. I got one, but it fits in the "Mega Bay" and not
>internally, meaning you have to pop something else out if you want to use
>it.

Thats not good, but...

> It's also not bootable according to Dell (in Windoze of course, dunno
>if it can be made bootable in FreebSD-- that would change my opinion a
>lot).

 Does the kernel see it, can you mount stuff on it?  Then its only
the question if the bios sees it, and even if not you should still
be able to have a root fs on it if you load only the kernel from
elsewhere (a floppy is enough), all you need is a small patch for
the loader, see the `loader hacks' thread in -stable:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?db=&id=19991212155932.A1107@saturn.kn-bremen.de

> I also got a CD-RW which provides 650MB of rewritable backup space
>which is enough for my data ...

 Btw has anyone done multivolume backups to CDs yet, like when you
have filesystems that are larger than one disc?  (and who doesn't
these days...)

> not sure if I can get that working under
>FReeBSD either however ...

 As its most likely ATAPI you'd have to try the worm driver, can't
help you there as my CD writer is SCSI (and does work).

> (just had the box a week or so) ... but the
>extra HDD has begun to look very much like a boondoggle.

 How big is it anyway?

 Regards,
--
Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>