Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 21:57:17 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

> On Friday, 10th December 1999, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> >The same mentality that made the CAM cutover a "debacle" is making the
> >ata cutover a "debacle".
>
> This "mentality" might be an unavoidable part of human nature.  I found

That was my musing in the next paragraph.

> my first reaction was "How dare they take away something I have now?!"
> and it took some careful thinking to see that my loss was actually very
> small against future benefits.  It might be that these things have to be
> predicted by -core and handled "touchy feely" like:

Core isn't typically involved in these decisions, nor should it be.  I
also raised the point you make here when I said that it'd have been nice
for the parties responsible for the change to soften the blow a bit.

> >Fortunately, the CAM folks persisted despite the criticism, and I'm glad
> >to see that Soren is taking the same stance.
>
> Not everything improved with CAM.  Personally I'm only receiving the
> benifits of CAM now, about a year after it replaced the old system.
> On the balance it has been good for FreeBSD, but you have to remember
> that there will be small pockets of users that will get the short end
> of the stick.  How the project deals with the losers in these deals is
> important for its long term health.

It's more how the losers deal with the project, to be honest.  There has
to be a way to make them realise that it's not reasonable to expect
everyone else to live in pain just because they (think they) are still
comfortable.