Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 16:21:40 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible problem with wait syscall handling...

"Justin T. Gibbs" wrote in message ID
<199809262003.OAA06853@pluto.plutotech.com>:
> Ken started up a buildworld on our Miata last night, but perhaps 40
> minutes later, the machine started locking up.  Ping worked, but
> old network connections were frozen and new network connections blocked
> after the initial connection.  When I came in today and dropped into DDB,
> I found that almost every process on the box was sleeping on "wait".
> I continued and broke back into DDB two or three more times and suddenly
> the machine un-froze.  Very bizarre.  Assuming I can reproduce this,
> anyone have any ideas where I should start poking around to determine
> the cause?

I've seen this on my alpha too. Blowing away the kernel compile tree and
rebuilding the kernel seemed, along with all of userland, seemed to fix it for
me. It only seemed to happen with parallel compiles. I gave Doug remote-gdb
stack traces, but could never get remote-gdb to give me a ps list to see what
things were blocking on :(

Gary