Date:      Thu, 09 Oct 1997 01:35:05 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Digital, Intel, Silicon Graphics (fwd)

> Unfortunately, the trade press in general still sees "UNIX losing the
> desktop war to Microsoft" as a bad thing.  I suggest the opposite is
> true: UNIX was never meant for a word processor/spreadsheet system.
> Since we never really wanted to go there, why would we lament somebody
> else inheriting that stick ball of goo?

I ask myself this question almost every day. ;-)

> UNIX, on the other hand, offers lots of tools, small and large, and a
> pretty straightforward way to tie them together: scripting languages.

As Van Jacobson put it during his USENIX keynote a few years back:
"Unix gives you words, Windows gives you only whole sentences" - you'd
never teach a child a natural language this way but yet we seem to
feel that restricting programmers similarly won't stunt their
intellectual growth.  Uh huh. :-)

> I use a configuration management tool called Perforce (highly
> recommended, by the way) which runs on Windows and a variety of UNIX
> systems.  The servers are available for both UNIX and NT.  It's pretty

Hey, and you forgot to mention this (from http://www.perforce.com):

	Free Software Developer Pricing for FreeBSD and Linux

	Bona fide organizations developing free software (e.g.  products
	distributed under the Berkeley or GNU copyrights) may be eligible to
	obtain Perforce servers for FreeBSD or Linux gratis. This includes
	upgrades but not support.

They're very friendly to us free OS folks, they're enthusiastic
FreeBSD users and, if we had thought that the rest of the FreeBSD
community could live with a commercial SCM tool vs CVS (which we
don't), we'd probably be using Perforce now as FreeBSD's official
source code control system.  Our CVS repository manager loves the
product.  The president of the company came over and personally gave
many of the FreeBSD core team members instruction on its use.  It's
truly about as close as we've ever come to ditching a free solution
over a commercial alternative - it's a better mousetrap, no question.

> Another marketing channel we FreeBSDers must concentrate on is the
> university.  UNIX originally climbed into commercial existence through

Oh we do, we do.  Let me just repeat (for what is at least the 10th
time :-) that university promotion is a major priority of ours and if
your school is willing to use FreeBSD somehow, even if it's just
within the local Unix user's group, I'm happy to get you into Walnut
Creek CDROM's promotional give-away program.  I've sent out literally
thousands of CDs that way over the last couple of years.

> Recruit a Doug White at each and every college.  Get them to stock
> FreeBSD CD-ROMs and books in the bookstore.  And get them to take

"Remember users, ask for it by name!" :-)

					Jordan