Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:08:30 -0600
From:      "Richard Cadwalader" <webmaster@jimhardee.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   VERY slow browsing KDE

I have just installed FreeBSD 5.3, and I am using KDE. Everything is =
great. Except browsing.=20

I tried Mozilla, Firefox, and of course, Konqueror, and they take =
anywhere from 45 seconds, to 10 minutes to start loading a page. No, =
it's not hard ware, and it's not connection.=20

I have a  DSL connection, and this is a dual boot box. There is also =
another computer on this network (it's an XP Home box, so it's slow =
anyway). The dual boot box has windows 98 on it and browsing is so fast =
it's crazy. The only trouble I have is using a browser in BSD. links =
works pretty good, but I think it should be a little faster, as it's =
actually slower than Internet Explorer.

It is also dropping connections (ftp, ssh, shoutcast streams) every 10 =
to 45 minutes. At least twice an hour. I don't have that problem in =
Windows...I have been listening to a shoutcast stream now for over 140 =
minutes (I am in windows right now). I also get "Unknown Host =
www.foo.com" in all of the browsers (in FreeBSD) ocasionally.

Is there something wrong with my box? Could it be a NIC driver thing? =
Could it be a setup/config thing?

My network is configured from Internet IN:
DSL modem (speedstream 5100, router(D-Link DI-614+), then the two PC's.=20

Any help would be great...thanks!
--Richard