Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 15:03:23 -0500
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        PicoBSD List <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: crunchgen issue ...

Luigi Rizzo wrote:

>>libs /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.sbin/ntp/libntp/libntp.a
>>
>>that will sometimes work just fine; but sometimes, as in this
>>case, it will fail because of that libntp.a backwards referencing
>>symbols that are found in ntpdate.lo. All sorts of other problems
>>

> that is not a crunchgen problem, is poor coding of the library
> itself, and there is nothing crunchgen can do about it
> (i mean nothing that is not tightly related to the specific
> misuse of the library).

I can see your point ...

> ssh had a similar problem, and i had to patch it (in the picobsd/ssh port)
> extensively to fix the problem and avoid having to include a replica
> of the "library" for each binary that used it.

right, that's what made me give up on SSH before. Did you
feed back your changes to the ssh maintenance? That's where
I'm afraid the problem ends up being.

You're right that the special libs approach leads to replicating
those libraries into multiple programs that use them, but
sometimes I only use one. I'm afraid that eventually naming
conflicts between such private libraries are not avoidable even
with good c-coding. So, it may remain to be the problem of the
crunchgen user ... so crunchgen could still help here.

regards,
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine