Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 08:33:00 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Surplus 2.2.6 CDs available for promotional purposes.

With this latest release of FreeBSD 2.2.7 on CD, I now have over 5000
surplus 2.2.6 CD sets (the full 4 CD set) and I'd like to give them to
good homes.  Before you get all excited, please allow me to qualify
that statement substantially:

Because it would also cost something on the order of $30,000 or some
significant fraction thereof to mail these out individually, and since
giving them away individually isn't really what I had in mind anyway,
I'm going to set the "minimum order" at 25 CDs.  This doesn't mean
that you should take 25 in order to get one, this means that you
should *not even bother* to send me mail unless you have a very
definite use for 25 or more CDs!

Good uses for these CDs do not include reselling them to put your kids
through college or chucking them out of a box on your local street
corner since those aren't quite the kinds of advocacy activities I had
in mind either.  What I'm really interested in here are those truly
dedicated advocates who are willing to press CDs into carefully
selected people's hands and, at the minimum, give them a quick sales
pitch on just what it is they're getting.  Advocates who make me even
happier are the those who go to some extra trouble to print up a
single sheet flyer or promotional booklet describing the virtues of
FreeBSD, along with any local FreeBSD resources that the recipient
might be interested in, and wrapping that around a CD before giving it
to its new owner.

For extra brownie points, take some CDs to your local library (make
sure they handle things like CDs first though), computer shop,
computer swap meet, local ISP or (major brownie points!) high school
or college.

If you've read all of the above and still think that you fit the bill,
then please send me the following information:

1. Number of CDs desired.  This can be anything from 25 - 250, though if
   you're interested in the larger quantities then you'd also be prepared to
   justify your numbers.  Most people are tempted to start too big and
   then find themselves with surplus CDs so I prefer people who are just
   starting out (or don't have some planned event with a definite head
   count) to start small and, should they do better than expected, simply
   ask me for more CDs.  With this kind of surplus, I'm not exactly
   going to run out of CDs right away so don't worry about getting
   more should you turn out to be the world's greatest advocate or
   something.

2. Your postal address and daytime phone number (in case there are
   shipping problems).

3. Some description of the kinds of advocacy you're planning on.  This
   will help me prevent overlap should someone else in your area be
   thinking of doing something similar with their own CDs.

I will then send you the CDs, domestically or internationally,
completely free of charge.  We will pay all shipping charges, though
if your customs office gets sticky about things on the far end then
those problems will be for you to sort out and I probably won't be
able to do much for you (we declare all such promotional items as
being for promotion and having no commercial value, but some countries
have been known to get sort of fussy about this - grr!).

Thanks!

- Jordan