Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 11:05:23 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        pirat@access.inet.co.th
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation: files system

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999 07:27:51 +0700, pirat sriyotha wrote:

> my plain old question is that why /usr/local file system has been
> filled up so quick. prior that, i used to install 3.1 on 470 megabytes
> ide and run without any problem of file system ( i select x-user for
> install ).

It really does depend on what you've installed. Most ports and packages
install into either /usr/X11R6 or /usr/local. This means that, the more
stuff you install, the more /usr/local will fill up.

Personally, I'd have put FreeBSD's /usr on the smaller disk, with
swap, /var, /usr/X11R6 and /usr/local on the larger disk, because /usr
is less likely to grow than /usr/local and /usr/X11R6 .

Be brave, take a look at what's using all that space.  For this purpose,
the du(1) utility will be helpful.  You can get a summary of the
/usr/local hierarchy's disk utilization with:

	du -sk /usr/local/*

To get a more detailed breakdown of _all_ the subdirectories in the
hierarchy, you can use:

	du -sk `find /usr/local -type d -print`

Have fun!

Ciao,