Date:      Tue, 02 Mar 1999 05:18:40 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD

<<The FreeBSD boot floppies contains all the on-line documentation you
should need to be able to navigate through an installation and if it does
not then we would like to know what you found most confusing. Send
your comments to the FreeBSD documentation project mailing list
<freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>. It is the objective of the FreeBSD
installation program (sysinstall) to be self-documenting enough that
painful ``step-by-step'' guides are no longer necessary. It may take
us a little while to reach that objective, but that is the objective!>>

Well, since you asked... The thing I found completely baffling at my
first try was that no settings whatsoever got carried from the install
process to the definitive kernel. Since most modern systems do that,
I was under the impression that I got myself a working system. So,
when it turned out that was not the case I checked near everything
*but* the kernel. Not a good start.

Another thing you might want to improve has to do with the slice
system. The problem with that is that you get one humonguous partition.
Not all of which necessarily will fit below the dreaded 1024 cylinder
boundary of the BIOS. With todays bigger disks you might want to
draw some attention to that. Especially when CHS has been selected
instead of LBA. As of course yours truly is wont to have.

Some lesser things. A good thing is that several HTML docs come
with it. So why no HTML browser like lynx? (X-User install). Another
thing I can't quite grock is why I keep reading about all those new
XFree86 drivers I need, like the Matrox, have been released, yet that
somehow never seem to make it into whatever it is I'm downloading.
Take the Matrox, the XFree86 website claims it is now fully supported
in the 3.3.1 release. So how come I can't seem to find it in the
FreeBSD distribution that claims to deliver 3.3.1? That sort of thing
can be truly infuriating. The more so since it is at the end of the
install when you find out it has been for naught.

HTH,

Roelof

Het Slakke Huis op http://iboa.nl.eu.org/Slak/
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.