Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 13:58:50 +0200
From:      "Jochim Kuebart" <joa@delos.lf.net>
To:        "Wayne Baety" <mrfoine@enteract.com>, "Doug White" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Dave Hummel" <HUMMDN36@buffalostate.edu>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: boot from floppy only

----------
> Von: Wayne Baety <mrfoine@enteract.com>
> An: Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
> Cc: Dave Hummel <HUMMDN36@BUFFALOSTATE.EDU>; questions@freebsd.org
> Betreff: Re: boot from floppy only
> Datum: Freitag, 4. April 1997 10:13
>

> On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Doug White wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Dave Hummel wrote:
> >
> > > I've found alot of messages about this in the archives, but I'm still
rather
> > > clueless on this...
> > > I have a network machine that runs win95 during business hours and I
want to
> > > run FreeBSD on it. I do not want FreeBSD to be visible to the normal
user, so I
> > > want to make it bootable by floppy only. If I use disklabel to make a
bootable
> > > floppy I gather from what I read that I can tell the boot to look for
the
> > > kernel on the FreeBSD partition, which is a IDE harddrive that has
been split
> > > using fips. Would the proper syntax be  boot: wd(0,a)/kernel
> > > Would another (thew proper?) option be to put the kernel on the
floppy and then
> > > to mount the FreeBSD partition?
> >
> > You can't fit a decent system on a floppy.  You can use the boot floppy
> > and the auxiliary fixit floppy image to make a two-disk startup that
will
> > get you a few basics.  Also check Handbook section 10.5.9.5 for making
an
> > emergency disk.
>
> i think he just wants to use the floppy for the boot program so that he
> can switch the boot to a hard disk partition...and at the same tame
> keeping the hard disk partition hidden so that it doesnt display the F1
> bsd F2 dos, etc.
>
> is that possible?

If you do NOT istall BootEasy on the hard disk then tehere will be no F1
DOS, F2 BSD display. If you already installed BootEasy, boot DOS and try
"fdisk /mbr". This has been an undocumented feature for years, it rewrites
the Master Boot Record, and the DOS bootstrapper will be reinstalled. The
activate the DOS partition using fdisk, and DOS should boot normally.

After that, to boot FreeBSD insert the fixit.flp and type what you presumed
above... THis should do the work

> > Doug White                              | University of Oregon
> > Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking
Assistant
> > http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major

This is your operator speaking