Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 13:45:03 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Waite, Michael" <Michael.Waite@compaq.com>
Cc:        "'Peter Jeremy'" <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for AlphaServer 4100

> Well for one, FreeBSD doesn't support SMP.

That's been a killer for a while now; it looks like some progress might
actually be made soon, as we have finally gotten our mitts onto a box
small enough to send to the UK.  (No offense intended to Compaq here;
just our inability to ship something quite as studly as a DS20 that far
in safety.)

> We have sent an AS4100 quad  machine to them to assist with making that a
> reality.

I believe that Matt Jacob was working hard to add support for the
4100/8100 (Rawhide?) families in time for the 4.0 release.  I'm not sure
he'll make the deadline, but this has indeed largely been facilitated by
Compaq's loaner.  I expect that Matt will have something to say on the
topic when he runs over this thread.