Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 23:18:57 -0600
From:      Pete <pmckenna@uswest.net>
To:        Brian Dean <brdean@unx.sas.com>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Streamlining FreeBSD Installations

It does not have to be that hands on.

Brian Dean wrote:

> Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> > Brian Dean wrote:

> > > I use scripted sysinstalls here.  It's really easy, however, you still
> > > have to interact with a few dialogs, namely:
> > >
> > >         1) of course, you have to specify your config file from
> > >            the "Load Config" main menu option
> >
> > Huh? AFAIK, sysinstall accept script commands from the command line, so
> > this could be skipped.
>
> I was referring to the use of sysinstall for the initial installation
> of the OS.  I don't see how you can do what you say unless you create
> a custom boot floppy (or CD) for _each_ machine you want to install.
> And since we are talking on the order of 100 machines here, I don't
> think that is practical.  Perhaps you could get by with one boot image
> if your machines were configured via DHCP (mine are not, and in my
> case, it is not practical to do so, at least not right now).
>
> And just so I'm not misinterpretted, I'm not complaining about having
> to specify the config file.  It's not that big of a deal.  In fact, I
> think Jordan has made it just about as simple as it can reasonably
> get.  I was just pointing out that it's not _entirely_ hands off, and
> merely listed that interaction with sysinstall for the sake of
> completeness.  For the remaining four, we can probably code
> appropriately via the scripting mechanism to avoid the prompts:
>

>         1) dhcp yes/no
If the sysinstall script has all the host info you don't need to answer
this.

>         2) crypto yes/no/which ones
What I did is make a package of ssh it no longer asks.

>         3) ports yes/no
Can be specified in the sysinstall script.

>         4) are you sure you want to really do this? yes/no
I still answer this one.

> -Brian

I hacked PicoBSD to do this so it works from one floppy. You can either
name
the file install.cfg in which case it is run automatically or give it a
../stand/my_script.cfg to grab the build file you wish from stand which
is
where I put my scripts on the build floppy. I have about a dozen
different
scripts on the floppy and still seem to have lots of room. I haven't
automated adding users. I did this under 3.2 and am trying to find the
time
to move it to 3.4 although it should be able to build 3.4 servers with
no
problem.

Pete