Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 1995 04:06:37 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        David Langford <langfod@maui.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/elm/scripts pre-configure

In message <199511222116.LAA11608@ maui.com> David Langford writes:

>>I am stuck on this issue somehow. Basically following Elm configurations
>>takes sense:
>>
>>Elm without MIME and without PGP
>>Elm without MIME and with PGP: RUN_DEPENDS = pgp
>>Elm with MIME and without PGP: RUN_DEPENDS = metamail
>>Elm with MIME and with PGP: RUN_DEPENDS = pgp & metamail
>>
>>When user run make it can be easily handled via
>>environment variables f.e. But it seems that we need to build
>>4 different Elm packages in any case, so user tuning doesn't
>>take much sense.
>>So, we need 4 different directories for Elm in 'mail' subdir.
>>Does anybody have better idea?

>I have been wondering for awhile if it would be possible to get make to
>ASK the user a few simple questions.

>In the case of Elm it would ask if the user wants the MIME, PGP or MIME+PGP
>port to be built. (Yes, this is what configure is for but we are trying
>to make it easy- if someone really wants to do things differently then
>that can run configure themselves)

It seems that you miss the point. Asking any amount of questions
not saves from building 4 different packages, so if I forced to build
them I don't need to ask any questions at all.

Remember: package can't ask any questions.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -