Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:32:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Isaac Mushinsky <freebsd@mushinsky.net>
To:        Eivind Olsen <eivind@aminor.no>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How do I make a custom-kernel?

1. You can use the old procedure still, but better 'make buildkernel'.
'make buildworld' does NOT rebuild the kernel, it does everything else.
Look in the online version of the handbook, you probably have the old
print edition?

2. To build your kernel, edit the conf file (take a copy of GENERIC or
LINT and make your changes), save it in the same directory under
SOME_NAME, and do

make buildkernel KERNCOF=SOME_NAME
make installkernel KERNCOF=SOME_NAME

'make kernel' to do 'make buildkernel && make installkernel'