Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 17:23:36 +0100
From:      Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam@mekanix.dk>
To:        "Geoffrey C. Speicher" <geoff@speicher.org>
Cc:        alane@geeksrus.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, kde-freebsd@lists.csociety.org
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] lpd/lpr "stopped" working

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 16:46, you wrote:

> > "I" haven't installed cups, but looks like KDE "dragged" it along. So
> > yes, cups-lpr seems to be installed and no cupsd is not runing. And I
> > really don't like cups running, I'm quite happy with the systems lpr/lpd.
> > So, can I remove safely all-that-is-cups without breaking anything in
> > KDE? And how do I reinstate my systems lpr?
> I don't know if pkg_deinstalling cups will break KDE, but I'm going to
> wager a guess that you have /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin in your path,
> and that if you reverse them, printing will work.

$ echo $PATH
/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/X11R6/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/home/mekanix/bin

But this is a shell-prompt, and thus reads the /etc/profile ~/.profile or
login.conf... but could KDM do som mixup of order?

/usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xsession does something to the PATH, but I don't
know much about shell-scripting so it's pure jibberish to me.

Bjarne
--
Homepage: http://www.mekanix.dk