Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:52:26 -0800
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
Cc:        Andrew Otwell <andrew@networkcomputerz.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: smbmount

Walter Brameld wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, in a never-ending search for enlightenment, Andrew Otwell wrote:
> > I'd really love to see smbmount for FreeBSD bundled into the Samba
> > package.
> > Anyone know who is packaging Samba for FreeBSD or if there is an
> > smbmount I can use?
> > I have yet to compile for Samba source. Should I try that instead?
> >
> I'll be darned if I can find it now, but I remember reading somewhere
> on the samba site that smbmount was no longer being supported by
> them, or something to that effect. It's interesting that the "man"
> page is still included with the distribution.

	Last I heard Andrew Tridgell ( one of the developers of Samba, now
working for Linux Care ) has taken over care of smbmount.  I asked
Jeremy Allison about the possibility of smbmount working on FreeBSD
and he seemed to indicate that it wasn't too likely.  That smbmount
uses some strange Linux kernel hacks to work and that since it's GPL,
FreeBSD won't be able to put the hooks into the kernel to support
smbmount.  So that now makes me wonder, can we have ( do we already? )
a GPLed kernel module to do something like this?

--

Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu