Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 11:13:16 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Kristian Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pulling email addresses from freebsd lists

Kristian Kennaway:
 |I'd just like to note that today I received my first ever spam-mail,
 |after posting to this list for the first time a few days ago. Until now
 |I've been successfully "hiding" by not having my email address make it
 |out onto UseNet or anywhere else grepped by spammers.

Jonathan M. Bresler:
 |	we seem to be seeing a new tactic,
 |	evil spammer subscribes and harvests addresses from the
 |	list traffic.

I'd hazard a guess that the spammers aren't harvesting from the list e-mail
distribution directly but from NetNews (because of those numerous
list-to-NetNews gateways that some folks in the world funnel the FreeBSD
list traffic into).  These pseudo-groups get out and into spam farmer
newsrc's without any real action on their part.  Easy pickins'.

If I didn't choose to post to NetNews with my real e-mail address anyway,
I'd complain about these news gateways.  As is, I just grin and have some
fun bustin' spammers with their ISPs.  And procmail bounce rules to
postmaster,abuse,root for those ISPs that don't seem to care.

Randall