Date:      Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:13:02 +0100
From:      Jonathan Belson <jon@witchspace.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with Dell/Seagate tape drive

Hiya

I've installed FreeBSD-Stable on a Dell PowerEdge 600SC, and I'm having
real problems getting the tape drive to work reliably.  It's a Dell
rebadged ATA Seagate/Certance STT2401A

As I mentioned in a previous e-mail, I get the message 'ast0: FAILURE -
REZERO timed out' when tar-ing files to it (after the files have been
written, but before the drive starts to rewind).

That message seems harmless enough, but I also keep getting intermittent
kernel panics when I try to access it: 'supervisor read, page not present'.

Has anyone else used this particular model of tape drive?  If so, did
you have any problems with it?  I've tried switching cables and using
master/slave/cable select, but it hasn't made any difference.
Unfortunately, I don't have a spare tape drive to try in case it's a
hardware fault.

Cheers,

--Jon

http://www.witchspace.com