Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:10:47 +0200 (EET)
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        dslb@tiscali.dk
Cc:        Michael Joyner <mjoyner2@hq.dyns.cx>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Getting some daemons out of the base system

On 2002-10-27 01:40, dslb@tiscali.dk wrote:
> [...]

Because a UNIX operating system is not complete without an MTA.  Even
parts of the base system (like the periodic scripts) depend on the
presence of a mail transfer agent that can at least do local
deliveries.

Recently, Gregory Shapiro (the maintainer of sendmail in the base
system of FreeBSD) has made it very easy to replace sendmail with an
alternative MTA in the installed system.  The installer, sysinstall,
allows making changes to rc.conf even before the system installation
is finished, and disabling sendmail there can be done in a breeze.

IMHO, instead of discussing this again and again, which has already
hit the archives a lot of times, the best thing to do is to implement
some idea, and then present it to freebsd-arch for a review.

Giorgos.