Date:      Sun, 27 Mar 2016 13:45:31 -0400
From:      bsd@haps.ca
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, doceng@freebsd.org
Subject:   print/ghostscript9-agpl-base

Makefile:post-install-DOCS-on: post-install-docs
files/Makefile.pcl3:post-install-docs: post-install-docs-pcl3

Unfortunately that's the only definition for post-install-docs, and it's
wrapped (in files/Makefile.drivers_post):

# pcl3 specific
.if ${PORT_OPTIONS:MGS_pcl3}
.include "${MASTERDIR}/files/Makefile.pcl3"
.endif

So enabling docs without enabling pcl3 gives you:
make[1]: don't know how to make post-install-docs. Stop

This is just another broken config dependency issue (already dealt with
"undefined reference to `gdev_prn_open_planar'":
http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-ports-bugs&m=135081301325108 circa 2012).

I'm wondering if all (or any) the print drivers need to  be enabled by
default.  I don't know if there are any DEC LA50s still out there, and
speaking personally my HP DeskJet 550C ran out of ink about 20 years
ago, but my guess is that enabling that by default isn't going to be
helpful to the vast majority of users.

Perhaps it's time to reduce the number of options and provide, say, a
single group of deprecated drivers for those who need them, so the more
current/useful options aren't hidden in the cruft.  I'll admit to
knowing not much at all about gs, so maybe there's some reason why
things have to be this way.