Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 10:34:40 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Zahemszky Gabor <zgabor@CoDe.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD questions)
Cc:        kline@tera.com
Subject:   Re: vi/nvi slower with 2.2R

> According to Doug White:
> > On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Gary Kline wrote:
> >

> > > Has anyone else noticed how much slower most vi
> > > commands are in 2.2?  When I type something like
> > > ``df<character><ESC>'' it is a few seconds before
> > > the ESC seems to be recognized.
> > >
> > > With 2.1.5 and before, vi was much faster.  Am I
> > > missing some new configuration or what?
> >
> > The ESC has always taken a bit of time to respond.  This is because the
> > ESC character is used to escape special keys like arrow keys.  You have to
> > wait for a timeout before your single ESC is recognized.  There might be a
> > termcap variable that controls the timeout.

I don't know (I have 2.1.5 now), but maybe there is a newer version of vi in
2.2.  Type :ver, and see it.  In 2.1.5, it's a very-very old 1.34 (from
'94) version in it, maybe in 2.2, it's a newer.  If I remember well, in
newer nvi's (1.7x ?), there is a new handling of the <ESC> timeout.
In 1.34, it's only :set timeout/:set notimeout, but it may changed.

Oopps!  I've found, that :set keytime=X may interested in you.

Gabor