Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:56:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Network Administrator <gbntech@gbn.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: swap problems

Network Administrator <gbntech@gbn.com> types:
> At 1:46 PM -0800 12/12/00, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > > Can someone tell me where to look for the problem that causes this failure:
> > >
> > >         swap_pager: out of swap space
> >It filled up your swap file system. While the price is right, I would
> >up the memory. Then you wouldn't swap as much. SDRAM access times on
> >that vintage will be 10-15ns. Accessing your HD will make it seem like
> >the memory is 8-15ms.
> Hmm. I wasn't specific enough.
> The question is: WHY is the swap f/s continuing to get filled up? It
> didn't used to. The primary use of the machine is mail server. If I
> kill all processes not directly related to that (httpd, named, etc.),
> then sendmail or pop3d will eventually cause the swap space to
> overflow. And I don't know what to look for.

Look for lots of pop3 or sendmail processes. The problem then becomes
figuring out *why* they aren't going away. It may well be that your
user base has grown or changed it's behavior in some way that's making
an old server config inappropriate, or the system setup to small.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.