Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 21:54:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "H. Wade Minter" <minter@lunenburg.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Trouble getting NAT/IPFilter working

I'm trying to migrate my FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE firewall from ipfw/natd to
ipf/ipnat, but I'm having some trouble.

I'd like to set it up so that everything from my local LAN is allowed out,
with stateful replies back in, SSH is allowed from the outside world into
the firewall box, and nothing else is allowed in.  However, setting up the
ipf and ipnat rules as detailed below leaves me dead in the water.  Any
assistance would be appreciated - I've got the ipf HOWTO here, but can't
find what I'm missing.

On the firewall box, dc0 is the internal NIC (192.168.0.1), and rl0 is the
external NIC (DHCP-assigned).  My internal LAN is 192.168.0.0/24.

Here is my ipf.conf file:
-----

# Localhost gets a free ride
pass in quick on lo0  all
pass out quick on lo0 all

# As does the internal interface.
pass in quick on dc0 all
pass out quick on dc0 all

# We want to allow most traffic out through the external interface,
# but not much in.
block in log on rl0 all
pass  in quick on rl0 proto tcp from any to 192.168.0.0/24 port = 22
pass  out quick on rl0 proto tcp from 192.168.0.0/24 to any keep state
pass  out quick on rl0 proto udp from 192.168.0.0/24 to any keep state
pass out quick on rl0 proto icmp from 192.168.0.0/24 to any keep state

-------

And here is my ipnat.conf file:

-------
map rl0 192.168.0.0/24 -> 0/32