Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 01:23:10 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/13644

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 12:06:22AM +0100, Marc Schneiders wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> > Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> [...]
> > > Actually, i just started learning VI, so maybe i'll try both at
> > > the same time. However, i haven't quite reached that level yet
> > > of being an advanced programmer. So, many of Emacs features will
> > > be lost on me. But, it is certainly worth a try, since someday i
> > > may need it.
> > >
> > > Yes, it makes more sense like you said to start a session at
> > > login and use it throughout the session. Maybe if i buy that
> > > book it will give me incentive.
> >
> > If much of your work on your computer consists of editing things,
> > Emacs is a good tool. If you edit things only occasionally, other
> > editors may be as useful and a bit faster to load. If you use X,
> > aXe is pretty nice and is quick enough to launch from a dock or
> > something like that.
> >
> > > Do you use emacs, Xemacs, or some derivative?  Version 19 or 20?
> >
> > I use GNU Emacs 20, mostly because my .emacs file has been
> > customized for GNU conventions over the years. If I were starting
> > over, I'd probably pick Xemacs instead. Most of the younger
> > Emacs'ers around here use Xemacs.
> >

> I just happen to have bought an emacs book yesterday and read a bit.
> I have two things that I cannot get clear for myself:
>
> 1. Is it 'done' on BSD? The book gave me the idea that emacs is a real
> GNU thing, so much 'hallelujah' in it. I don't mind that, but wouldn't
> like to jump into learning it all, if it isn't really supported in
> BSD-circles. And I want to be politically correct of course :-)
>
> 2. Which version should I use/learn/configure? "Most younger ... use
> Xemacs." I'm 39. Does the fact that I still occasionally use
> WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS, because the ctrl and alt key-strokes [for
> notes, size e.g.] somehow come natural for me, suggest the non-X
> version?

Well, I'm 41 and have only recently started using emacs (mainly as the
result of the emacs evangelism of Greg and others) so a mere slip of a
lad like yourself shouldn't have to worry :)

One of the biggest obstacles to moving to emacs from vi is the totally
different (and often conflicting) terminology used. I don't know
whether this is a function of emacs being written in LISP or emacs
being written by Lord Stallman (ha ha; ispell(1) has just thrown up
"Stallman" as an unknown word :)) but, for example, every other editor
I've used uses the term "Colour Syntax Highlighting" but what does
emacs call it? - "Font-locking" :-/. Also, the term "yank" has exactly
the opposite meaning in emacs to vi.

All in all emacs is a very powerful tool; as others have pointed out,
you start emacs when you login and use it all the time rather than
just start it when you wish to edit a file. It just takes some getting
used to though.

> A third, now I'm at it: Does the Windows version (it is on the CD with
> the book) really work? Would be nice to use at work maybe, once I got
> used to it or maybe fond of it.

Well, the company I work has now moved over (downgraded ;)) to NT so
everyone uses VC++ (I have the distinction as the *only* person who
works exclusively on a Sun) but one guy, although a Windozer, uses emacs
and his fingers are just a blur on the keyboard (hardly ever touches
the mouse), so I guess the Win version is pretty good.

> --
> Marc Schneiders
>
> marc@venster.nl
> marc@oldserver.demon.nl
>
> propro         	 11:56pm  up  11 days,  23:45,  load average: 2.64 2.19 2.06

	"there's a long-standing bug relating to the x86 architecture
	that allows you to install Windows too"
				   -Matthew D. Fuller