Date:      Sat, 06 May 2000 11:18:27 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>
To:        java@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Java run-time only port

Hi,

Does anyone considering to make a stripped down version of the JDK port to
provide only components necessary to run Java applications? I hate to have 26MB
installed just to run one or two apps. From the quick glance I have a strong
perception that at least 50 percent of the files installed only necessary for
development and debugging purposes.

For example I've managed to reduce footprint to 15MB by removing demo and
include subdirs, removing src.zip file, and striping binaries and shared libs.
There is still huge room for improvement as each library and binary came in 4
incarnations (X, no X, X with debug, no X with debug), so I suppose that it
could be downsized to some 5-10MB by properly selecting components.

-Maxim