Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2016 01:15:27 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FYI: how long for a "nothing new" 11.0 -r301975 WITH_META_MODE=yes build on an rpi2?

[One oddity of the rpi2 context for the below is that the root file =
system is on a fast USB SSD drive: it is really a fast USB 3.0 SSD drive =
just used on the USB 2 bus via a USB 3.0 capable hub.]

I just did the following sort of sequence on an rpi2 for 11.0 -r301975 =
rebuilding itself where the .sh script used indicates to use =
WITH_META_MODE=3Dyes for the make command :

> # =
~/sys_build_scripts.rpi2-host/make_rpi2_nodebug_clang_bootstrap-rpi2-host.=
sh -j 5 buildworld buildkernel

> # =
~/sys_build_scripts.rpi2-host/make_rpi2_nodebug_clang_bootstrap-rpi2-host.=
sh -j 5 buildworld buildkernel

(Also the .sh runs script to log all the make output. The first build =
was actually more involved than shown above, see later notes.)

The 2nd one took about 15 or 16 minutes to go through everything and, in =
essence, discover that nothing needed to be rebuilt. This was (still) =
using WITH_LIBSOFT=3D in the src.conf file. Also: WITH_CLANG_FULL=3D =
WITH_CLANG_EXTRAS=3D WITH_LLDB=3D were in use. . .

> # more ~/src.configs/src.conf.rpi2-clang-bootstrap.rpi2-host=20
> TO_TYPE=3Darmv6
> #
> KERNCONF=3DRPI2-NODBG
> TARGET=3Darm
> .if ${.MAKE.LEVEL} =3D=3D 0
> TARGET_ARCH=3D${TO_TYPE}
> .export TARGET_ARCH
> .endif
> #
> #WITH_CROSS_COMPILER=3D
> WITH_SYSTEM_COMPILER=3D
> #
> #CPUTYPE=3Dsoft
> WITH_LIBSOFT=3D
> WITH_LIBCPLUSPLUS=3D
> WITH_BINUTILS_BOOTSTRAP=3D
> #WITHOUT_CLANG_BOOTSTRAP=3D
> WITH_CLANG=3D
> WITH_CLANG_IS_CC=3D
> WITH_CLANG_FULL=3D
> WITH_CLANG_EXTRAS=3D
> WITH_LLDB=3D
> #
> WITH_BOOT=3D
> WITHOUT_LIB32=3D
> #
> WITHOUT_ELFTOOLCHAIN_BOOTSTRAP=3D
> WITHOUT_GCC_BOOTSTRAP=3D
> WITHOUT_GCC=3D
> WITHOUT_GCC_IS_CC=3D
> WITHOUT_GNUCXX=3D
> #
> NO_WERROR=3D
> #WERROR=3D
> MALLOC_PRODUCTION=3D
> #
> WITH_DEBUG_FILES=3D
> #
> XCFLAGS+=3D -march=3Darmv7-a -mcpu=3Dcortex-a7
> XCXXFLAGS+=3D -march=3Darmv7-a -mcpu=3Dcortex-a7
> # There is no XCPPFLAGS but XCPP ets XCFLAGS content.

~/src.configs/make.conf was empty.

Other notes:

I've not had any problems with WITH_META_MODE=3Dyes use for the self =
hosting 11.0 -r301975 rpi2 builds.

Going from not using WITH_META_MODE=3Dyes to using WITH_META_MODE=3Dyes =
in the self-hosting context did not require a cleanworld between the =
builds. (Cross build transitions in that direction do require such =
still.)

I do not report the WITH_META_MODE=3Dyes build time for the first time =
because I actually did more. I:

A) forced a root file system I/O failure/panic
   (during what happened to be libxo building)
B) then started WITH_META_MODE=3Dyes again
   (after booting)
C) let it run until the incomplete file(s) from the failure caused it to =
stop
D) did a make clean for libxo
E) then started WITH_META_MODE=3Dyes yet again
F) let it run to completion

The WITH_META_MODE=3Dyes use appears to have worked just fine despite =
the abusive nature of the test.

I will report that not using WITH_META_MODE=3Dyes took between 15 hr and =
16 hr (no such odd testing sequence involved).

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net