Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 1997 14:52:41 +0200
From:      sja@tekla.fi (Sakari Jalovaara)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error Message (mounting a DOS partition)

> wd0s3 is an extended partition.  It may contain almost any number of
> logical drives, of which DOS officially supports up to 23 (D:-Z:)
> provided there is only one DOS drive, and FreeBSD supports 26
> (wd0s5-wd0s30) independently of other drives.

Ah, so, right, aha, yeah (he said, nodding, pretending to understand
DOS partitioning :-)

Actually, I think I'm getting some of this.  So, DOS disks always
have four partitions (some of which can have zero size).
Slices 5..32 (NDOSPART+1...MAX_SLICES) are *inside* extended
partitions (or recursively inside other slices).

wd0s5 doesn't come after wd0s4 (as a UNIX weenie might expect);
it is inside the first extended partition (whichever of the four
that might be.)  s6 would be either after s5 inside the same extended
partition, or on the next extended partition, or even inside s5.

Trying to mount an extended partition is silly; what I want to mount
is one of the logical drives inside it.

Hmm, it's too bad extended partitions don't seem to have an obvious
magic number so that mount code could notice what is going on
and tell the user.

> >dev/wd0s3 is DOS D: and can NOT be mounted from FreeBSD.
> /dev/wd0s5 is DOS D: and CAN be mounted from FreeBSD.

Right you are, wd0s5 works.  Thanks!
									++sja