Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2007 18:24:06 +0300
From:      Mike Makonnen <mtm@FreeBSD.Org>
To:        Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Merging rc.d/network_ipv6 into rc.d/netif

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 11:11:32PM +0200, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:

> As Dag-Erling said, it may conflict with a future if_ip.  Moreover,
> network interfaces are renameable, so the namespace conflict is even
> more likely.
>
> Although it breaks the standard rc(8) syntax, I would personaly prefer:
> 	/etc/rc.d/netif (start6|stop6) rl0
>
> BTW, the proposed syntax isn't very usual either :).

I wasn't happy about the syntax either, but I was at a loss at how
to handle it. Now that you've mentioned the obvious answer, I'm
wondering how come it never occured to me :-P

> >  - In order to differentiate between v4 and v6 configuration directives some
> >    knobs in rc.conf(5)have been renamed with an ipv4_ prefix:
> > 	network_interfaces
> > 	ifconfig_DEFAULT
> > 	ifconfig_<interface>
> > 	ifconfig_<interface>_aliasX
> > 	defaultrouter
> > 	gateway_enable
> > 	static_routes
> > 	etc...
> >
> >  - Modify all scripts that reference old knobs (without ipv4_ prefix) to
> >    reference the new version of the knobs
> >
> >  - Compatibility shims in rc.subr(8) so that old uses of knobs without an
> >    ipv4_ prefix work as expected. As part of this change split the
> >    code for this processing into its own function: old2new_knobs()
>
> This is neat.  What about issuing a warning in order to make a
> quicker transition ?

I think this is a matter of personal preference. If a lot of people
think there should be a warning I can add it. Personally, I don't
see the need, we can keep the shims as long as we want.

Cheers.
--
Mike Makonnen          | GPG-KEY: http://people.freebsd.org/~mtm/mtm.asc
mmakonnen @ gmail.com | AC7B 5672 2D11 F4D0 EBF8  5279 5359 2B82 7CD4 1F55