Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 20:09:44 -0500
From:      "Mike Grommet" <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
To:        "Doug White" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Clear command locks up telnet window?

>What terminal are you using?  It reacts badly to the screen clear command.
>Did you try hitting <return> a few times?

The weirdest part is that I have tried it using 3 different terminal apps:
commnet, crt, and windows95 telnet, and on multiple machines.

Now it gets stranger.  If I telnet in from console on my bsdi box, or my
friends linux box,
it works perfectly.

If I telnet in from my workstation using the term programs mentioned above
into my bsdi box and then telnet into the down stream isp, it doesnt work
and still locks up the machine.  Heck I even tried copying the termcap file
from another freebsd machine here on sight and no difference.  However, I do
believe that we may have some router problems between us and them because
there is simply a god awful amount of errors showing up in the router
info... our main router to mci shows well over 15 million packets with 10-20
errors (in the past week or so)... the routers connecting us to the down
stream provider are showing 6500 or so plus errors and have only been up 1
day!  we are able to communicate with the downstream provider, but its very
unpredictable at this time... one minute I can connect perfectly, another
minute it takes 25 seconds to make the connect... really weird since they
are only 2 routers away and directly connected.

Do you think its possible that this situation could be caused by router
difficulties?

Mike Grommet
System Admin, and all around nice guy
Internet Solutions, Inc.