Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 07:24:30 -0500
From:      Bob Martin <bob@buckhorn.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: bare bones install of FreeBSD?

Sam Carleton wrote:

> I have installed FreeBSD before and like the beast a great deal.  I am
> about to install FreeBSD on a P200 Pro that is going to be a web server
> w/ MySQL, mail server, and DNS server, all for the small web site.
> Considering this machine is going to be on the outside of a firewall, I
> was going to implement the firewall on it simply for itself.
>
> My question is this:  I am install FreeBSD 4.0-SABLE on the P200 Pro.  I
> want to do a very minimal install on the machine but I want to make sure
> I have the tools I need to setup things up:
>
> 1)  I am going to be compiling a number of the servers myself, so I need
> the gcc compiler.  I do not want to install any development programs
> that I do not absoluting need.
>
> 2)   I would like to be able to run vim in X-Windows mode from another
> machine, thus I need to be able to compile vim with X-Windows support.
> But I do not want X-Windows itself on this machine.
>
> 3)  I want to uninstall the compiler once I am done using the compiler.
>
> How would I go about doing such a bare bones install, but still having
> the headers and libs I need for vim and all the right stuff to compile
> code?  How do I uninstall the stuff when that time comes?
>
> Sam
Sam,
It sounds like your talking about more than one machine when your done,
why not do all the building/compiling on the non-production machine?
That way you can do a minimal install on the web server.

Bob
--
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought,
but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."