Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 13:34:35 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>, Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>, Robert L Sowders <rsowders@usgs.gov>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The sendmail discussion...

> > (my company demands
> > that all software I write, including in my own free time, is copyright by
> > them)
>
> You need to move to California, where this is against the law.

Every California company I've worked for has made me sign a statement
with the above stipulation.  In order to avoid this, I was required to
specifically describe projects I worked on prior to my employment that
were immune from these restrictions.

It may be illegal, but I'm guessing that you and I don't have the legal
resources to fight it in court should an occasion if the employer wanted
to be enforce the statement, which was signed voluntarily.

Nate