Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 11:02:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk, tlambert@primenet.com, nik@iii.co.uk, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, itojun@itojun.org
Subject:   Re: internationalization

According to Terry Lambert:

		I've never consider this before or read this
		before, but it seems likely given the culture
		of ancient (imperial) China.

		If you examine ancient Egyptian society you'll
		find parallels.  The ruling, educated classes--
		including the scribes--didn not want the
		hieroglyphs to be readily understood.  If
		`everyone' could read; if everyone had general
		access to knowledge and information there
		would have been major upsets.

		--Of course change was inevitable, and lookit
		what's happened here in the States: a large
		minority can't read; don't give a damn about
		it; would rather park themselves in front of
		a television and switch off whatever cortical
		neurons were left.

		gary kline

		PS: my ppp link to thought.org broke an hour
		ago so I've resub's to -hardware from this addr.