Date:      Mon, 04 Aug 2008 11:00:19 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        perryh@pluto.rain.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: building only part of the world

--------------enig515F5E0BBA8597DB1B31504B

perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:
> How would I go about building, not the entire world, but only
> a small part of it?
>=20
> If I just cd to the desired subdirectory and type "make -n"
> -- intending to find out what it would try to do -- I get a
> warning about not having changed the object directory.
>=20
> I suppose I'm supposed to type something along the lines of
>=20
>   make -n OBJ=3D<something>
>=20
> but what should I be setting OBJ to?  An attempt to find(1)
> some of the expected output files, so as to discover where
> they are conventionally located, found nothing.

The usual command sequence for building in parts of the source tree
is:

   # cd /usr/src/some/where
   # make obj
   # make depend
   # make
   # make install

This will suppress the warnings.

Compiling part of the system sources is supported.  It's routinely
described in many security advisories.  See for instance section (2)
'To patch your present system' in

http://security.freebsd.org/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-08:06.bind.asc

You'll find the output somewhere under /usr/obj=20

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3