Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 20:53:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        freebsd@atipa.com
Cc:        jseger@freebsd.scds.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Size of a port...

 * Speaking of sizes and ports, is anyone else totally sick of the ungodly
 * number of files in /usr/ports? It to me is absolutely disgusting. It takes

You are an interesting man, Kevin. :)

 * several minutes to to any type of "find" in /usr because of them.

"Any type" is incorrect.  For one,

  find /usr \( ! -name ports -prune \) -<other args>

will pretty much ignore the entire /usr/ports while doing what you
want.

I actually have /usr/ports a symlink to another partition, which also
contains /usr/obj and is thus mounted async.  Does wonders for those
pesky makes, too.  (Besides, I really hate the idea of a large
compilation running in my /usr partition....)

Satoshi