Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 1995 11:53:32 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bragging rights..

>> > There is the small issue of what the telco charges . It costs me about
>> > $100/month to keep my 128kb ISDN Line up for the whole month and that
>> > includes my ISP v-site.net .
>> >
>> > So what do the telcos usually charge for a fraction of a T1?
>>
>> In the order of $500 depending how far away you are from your isp's
>> POP, plus another $1200 to $1600 to pay the provider (we're talking
>> 128kbps fractional t1.) Some telcos charge you for a full t1 even
>> if you only use a fraction of it.
>>
>> To bad I can't get ISDN at home for my FreeBSD machine =( =(.
>> (complain complain U.S. West)
>
>You don't want ISDN anyway.  In most US West areas (yes, we know you
>have it better than the rest of us, Colorado!) they charge message
>unit charges over a certain usage limit, with tarrif provisions for
>reducing that usage limit to 0 at their option at some future date.
>
>This is done with the rationale that you are tying up switching
>equipment, which you wouldn't be tying up if you were using Frame
>Relay (packet switched) instead of ISDN (circuit switched) in the
>first place.
>
>The Telco's are hedging their bets, since they want to be able to
>meter your usage in the future (an unrealistic goal for Frame Relay),
>and so are really, really pushing ISDN.

The telcos also have a significant advantage with ISDN, because they're the
only ones who spent the billions necessary to "tool up". With a private line
or frame relay, there is much competition. They'll operate ISDN at a loss
for a while, but don't count on it forever. I wouldn't invest too much in
ISDN equipment that may get thrown away.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25