Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 10:17:45 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   bin/1810: fsck -p does not check pass 0 filesystems concurrently

>Number:         1810
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       fsck -p does not check pass 0 filesystems concurrently
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT i386
>Environment:

-current (also stable, I think)

fsck -p does not check pass 0 filesystems concurrently, thus gobbing up
large amount of time to check out news filesystems when they are fsck'd
separately to avoid boot taking >10 minutes it takes to check out the news
filesystems.

>How-To-Repeat:

panic (easy these days with -current) and start running fsck -p, it will
check all filesystems given in row instead of in paraller, taking quite
some time if many disks are used (I have 3 * 4G).

>Fix:

fsck should not depend parallelism on pass number field.