Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 1997 09:40:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cannot mount /

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997 lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov wrote:

> A) Leaving a dedicated W'95 EIDE disk
>       as the master drive on the primary EIDE controller,
>       modifying the MBR and installing booteasy
> B) Adding a second EIDE disk for FreeBSD -
>    ** as the slave drive on the primary EIDE controller **
>       partitioning the usual way, and modifying the MBR
>       and installing booteasy
>
> This last, that is, adding the FreeBSD disk as the *slave
> drive on the primary controller*, turned out to be the
> only way I could get the booteasy loader to work.  I never
> could get it to boot off the secondary controller, which
> also now happens to have an ATAPI CDROM on it, which I moved
> from the primary EIDE to the secondary EIDE.  I tried several
> permutations and combinations of kernels compiled with
> "config kernel root on wd[0-2], moving drives around, etc.,
> and finally got it to work as above.  YMMV, but, for some reason,
> I found that the root partition had to live on a drive
> on the primary controller, in which case it worked perfectly.

This is because of the way the bootblocks count WD devices versus how the
kernel probes them.  The bootblocks assume that 4 disks are installed at
wd0..wd3.  Even the CDROM is counted.  When FreeBSD boots, however, it
enumerates the disks separately from CDROMs.  So if you have this
situation...

PRIMARY 	SECONDARY
Master: Disk 	Single: HD
Slave: CDROM

Then you have to type

wd(2,a)/kernel

to boot, but the system will enumerate the disks as...

PRIMARY: wdc0		SECONDARY: wdc1
Master: Disk (wd0)	Single: HD (wd1)
Slave: CDROM (wcd0)

Notice that the boot volume you specified, wd2, doesn't mesh with the
kernel's idea of the boot disk, wd1.  Thus the can't mount root panic.

This isn't an easy solve.  We need to be able to wire down device
IDs to IDE controller positions like we can for the SCSI bus.  Until then,
you have to move the disk so that it's in the proper order, no intervening
cdrom, install, rebuild kernel, then move the disk to the desired
position.

> Of course, everything works just perfectly on a more recent
> system with only a single SCSI disk on it partitioned for FreeBSD.

Well, SCSI just generally works better. :-)