Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 10:04:10 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up on LFS

[ Moved to -chat ]

> > On the palm pilot, you couldn't allocate 1M of stuff in that short of
> > time. :)
> >
> > (The stuff I'm allocating is about 500-1MB/object, so your point is
> > truly moot.  Especially considering the footprint of my entire program
> > is around 60-70MB.)
> >
> > Don't ask like an expert on something you have no idea on.
>
> You shouldn't either

How much real Java programming have you done?  You have *no* clue what the GC
in Java is like.  Do you even own a pilot?  Have you even attempted to
run a Java VM on it?  Do you like making up problems that don't exist,
so that you can look smart?  Do you like changing the subject in the
middle of the discussion to try and be right?

Never in your statement was there a mention of a palm pilot.  The
statement was:

> JAVA has a nasty tendency to leak like a sieve until the GC hits a
> steady state.  As does Modula 3.

This is catagorically wrong, and shows your ignorance of both Java and
GC techniques in both languages.  My statement based on 2 years
experience with Java is that this is not an issue at all, and the most
*worst case* I've even seen in Java is about 2 * 500K-1MB objects not
being GC'd in about 1 second on a heavily loaded (~100% CPU) bound
machine.  This is not 'leaking live a sieve', as you so ignorantly put.

Finally, I have *also* seen Java run on the Pilot.  I'll say it again
that it isn't real (yet).  Maybe in time, but not yet.  The screen/GUI
interface is one of the limiting factors.

You were wrong, and even more so changed the subject in mid-stream and
still were wrong.  You have yet to admit wrongness in any discussion,
but its fun to watch you dance around trying to be right in the process
as you change the subject and the entire focus of the discussion.

Nate