Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 15:12:53 +1030 (CST)
From:      Dan Shearer <dan@tellurian.com.au>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dynamic routing reference sites

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> Apart from the above web sites, I dont know of any specific references per
> se.  The main source I used was "Internet Routing Architectures" ISBN
> 157870233X (Second edition) to learn and understand routing at a conceptual
> level.  Once you have that, its not that difficult to get gated working as
> you require.  Respective mailing list archives are also very handy.  Also,
> the nice thing about Zebra is that the commands are very similar to what
> you would do in a Cisco.

I take it you run a non-trivial network using FreeBSD and one of gated or
Zebra. What would you say to the common contention that Cisco hardware is
exceedingly reliable (which is true, from my experience and that of many
others) and that therefore PC-based hardware cannot compare to a Cisco
when used for a border router. I keep thinking of quality PCs that are
used in industrial applications for example, and in space missions and
military tanks. It's pretty good hardware and it isn't good when a fan
stops.

It seems to me that a competent Unix sysadmin can gain real control by
using a full Unix machine (well, a carefully secured Unix machine) as a
border router. But many very competent Unix sysadmins disagree with
comments along the line of "why bother".

I have certainly seen networks wallowing helplessly because Cisco (and
Bay, now Nortel) routers were misbehaving from a software perspective. I
don't think Cisco has anything much to offer software-wise except a nice
command interface and many manuals.

Any comments?

--
Dan Shearer