Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 1996 17:45:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, 199606032009.QAA04299@etinc.com
Subject:   Re: LBA and Large IDE driver with 2.1R

Nate Williams:
 >> Are there any known problems with large IDE drives in
 >> 2.1R. I have one that I've loaded several times and it
 >> just keeps crashing. The same image on a 540 drive
 >> runs on the same physical machine runs fine.
 >
 >I'm runing 2.1R on a 1Gig drive with LBA w/out problems.  But, you
 >*have* to have the entire root partition below the 512MB boundary.

     I have FreeBSD 2.1.0-STABLE running fine on a 1.6 Gig disk, and all of
the FreeBSD slice lives up on the high 815 meg of the disk.  I'm running
LBA on an Asus P55TP4XE (dual IDE onboard), and using OS/BS Beta to boot
this FreeBSD slice and all the others on this WD31600 as well as my WD31200
on wd0.  I have had 0 problems -- FreeBSD seems to pick up the translated
geometry and life is good.

     So I think there must be some exceptions to the above statement -- I'd
be interested in the specifics of the exceptions if anyone knows (a section
on LBA might make a good addition to the handbook as well).

     Information on my wd1 config is detailed below if anyone is curious.

Randall Hopper
rhh@ct.picker.com

# fdisk wd1
******* Working on device /dev/rwd1 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=787 heads=64 sectors/track=63 (4032 blks/cyl)

parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=787 heads=64 sectors/track=63 (4032 blks/cyl)

Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 0 is:
sysid 1,(Primary DOS with 12 bit FAT)
    start 63, size 3969 (1 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
        end: cyl 0/ sector 63/ head 63
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 5,(Extended DOS)
    start 4032, size 1048320 (511 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 1/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 260/ sector 63/ head 63
The data for partition 2 is:
sysid 131,(Linux filesystem)
    start 1052352, size 451584 (220 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 261/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 372/ sector 63/ head 63
The data for partition 3 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 1503936, size 1669248 (815 Meg), flag 80
        beg: cyl 373/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 786/ sector 63/ head 63

C:\> ataid

Drive # ------------------------------- : 1
Model Number -------------------------- : WDC AC31600H

Serial Number ------------------------- : WD-WT2890940399
Controller Firmware Rev Number -------- : 21.15T21
Media type ---------------------------- : Magnetic
Drive Type ---------------------------- : Fixed (non-removable)
Sector Formating ---------------------- : Not MFM Encoded, Hard Sectored
Able to do Double Word Transfer ------- : No
Maximum Data Transfer Rate ------------ : Between 5 KB/Sec and 10 MB/Sec

Controller buffer type ---------------- : Dual port multi-sector
                                          Simulataneous transfer capability
                                          Read caching capability
Controller cache buffer size ---------- :  128 KB
ECC bytes avial on long transfers ----- :   22
Max # of sectors per interrupt -------- :   16
Current # of sectors/interrupt ---- :   16
                                         #cyls #heads #Sec  Size
Default Translation Mode -------------- : 3148   16    63  1549 MB
Current Translation Mode -------------- : 3148   16    63  1549 MB
Current BIOS Setup  ------------------- :  787   64    63  1549 MB
DMA Supported ------------------------- :   Yes
LBA Supported ------------------------- :   Yes
PIO Data Transfer Timing Mode --------- : Mode    2
DMA Data Transfer Timing Mode --------- : Mode    0
Supported DMA Single Word Transfer Modes: Mode    0
Active DMA Single Word Transfer Mode -- : Mode    0
Supported DMA MultiWord Transfer Modes  : Mode    7
Active DMA MultiWord Transfer Mode ---- : Mode    4
Advanced PIO minimum cycle time ------- :    32 nanoseconds
DMA minimum cycle time ---------------- : 24936 nanoseconds
DMA Recommended cycle time ------------ : 26478 nanoseconds
Min PIO cycle time without flow control :  8293 nanoseconds
Min PIO cycle time with flow control -- : 26740 nanoseconds