Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 14:27:47 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (hackers)
Subject:   Re: Specs on a Hitachi CM2085me monitor anybody ??

: 	Last time this topic was up people ran away screaming: "No X in the
: 	kernel, no X in the kernel !"...

Linus says that as well :-).  The kernel support that I talked about
would be only to tell the kernel the size of the screen, rather than
to have the kernel do anything to the SVGA card itself (apart from
writing to different memory locations to cause the characters to
appear on the screen).

: 	For the intended  purpose, I  don't  think full chipset support  is
: 	required :-) Generic VGA should suffice, AFAI.

Sadly this is not true.  You need as much chipset support as you would
for X.  However, it can be done in userland w/o kernel bloat.

At least my S3 card wouldn't work unitl the S3 support was properly
added to the code.  It has been ages since I've looked at the code,
however, so maybe they found a way around it.

Warner