Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:08:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Hal Lynch <hal@cc.usu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot CD of running system

Hal Lynch <hal@cc.usu.edu> types:
> I am putting together a 'surf station'.
>
> Non-volatile files are to be on CD-Rom:
> 	/
> 	/etc
> 	/usr.
>
> Volatile files will be on a hard disk:
> 	swap
> 	/var.
>
> I have read the Torito specs.
> I have installed mkisofs.
> I have surfed for hints on the web.
> I have scoured the FreeBSD sight for hints.
> So far not a lot of luck!?
>
> I have configured a RUNNING system, created an iso image,
> and burned several cd's.  Most of them booted, but all
> tried to put me into the installation process.  Not good.
> I DON'T want to make an install cd, I buy those.  I want to
> make a bootable cd of a running/configured system.
>
> The only boot program I could find to put on the cd that
> would actually allow the cd to boot was boot.flp, which
> of course plunges me into the install.
>
> Does anyone have a clue for the clueless?

Look through /usr/src/release for how boot.flp is build, and build one
that does what you want?

And - if you get it all working - please write it up for the rest of
us! If you don't think you're up to the writing task, drop me a line
and I'll help.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.