Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:43:38 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>, Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>, Robert L Sowders <rsowders@usgs.gov>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The sendmail discussion...

Nate Williams wrote:
> > > (my company demands
> > > that all software I write, including in my own free time, is copyright by
> > > them)
> >
> > You need to move to California, where this is against the law.
>
> Every California company I've worked for has made me sign a statement
> with the above stipulation.  In order to avoid this, I was required to
> specifically describe projects I worked on prior to my employment that
> were immune from these restrictions.
>
> It may be illegal, but I'm guessing that you and I don't have the legal
> resources to fight it in court should an occasion if the employer wanted
> to be enforce the statement, which was signed voluntarily.

ACLU will back you on matters of public policy, and so will
the state's attorney's general office.

FWIW: having a list of exclusions is also a good thing, since it
makes you think about what you are working on, and gives you a
nice intro to licensing things to your new employer, if it comes
to it.  My last exclusion list had nearly 300 items on it.  8-).

Ask Julian and Archie about their IBM exclusion lists.  Julian
had an incredibly funny one (IMO), which (amazingly) IBM didn't
balk at...

-- Terry